Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Jumping Spider photographs

These are some macro photographs of jumping spiders.  Jumping Spiders are very common throughout the world.  These small arachnids are named because they are quick and like to jump to capture prey and escape danger.  Jumping spiders come in many different sizes colors and shapes.  Jumping spiders have incredible eyesight and are very alert.  These arachnids hunt by sight.  When one of these spiders sees movement they will generally turn towards the movement or sometimes shy away if they sense danger.

Jumping spiders are mostly harmless to humans.  Most are not aggressive and will not bite unless harassed.  You can handle most jumping spiders without fear of being bitten.

I dont not know what exact species most of these are.  I took these macro photographs of jumping spiders in Texas.  Some were found in Austin, Dallas and Fort Worth.

I shot these pictures on a Canon 5D Mark II with either a Sigma 180mm or a Canon MP-E 65mm 1x-5x lens.

My favorite photographs are the first three where the jumping spider is on some pink colored flowers called Red Yucca.  The jumping spider had actually caught another jumping spider and was eating it.  I got a few photographs before the jumping spider got scared and dropped his meal.  This was my first time to see a jumping spider eating another spider.




I shot these three photographs of jumping spider in Farmers Branch Texas in Gussie / Waterworth Park.  Every year the park is full of flowers and roses.  I usually find a lot of insects to photograph in this park.  This was the first time I have seen a jumping spider eating another spider.












These are some videos I have taken of jumping spiders.





1 comment:

  1. Phidippus audax are the black with metallic green or blue fangs and a white dot in the center of it's rear end. The brown and tan ones with the 'zipper' down the back are probably platycriptus undatus. I don't know about the very light tan and white ones.

    ReplyDelete